Rail Europe

Travel Expert

Statistics

Comments
Views

Tags

votes

Planning to travel Austria and Italy in May 2018

We (2 adults) are planning to Austria and Italy (2 countries) for 13 days in May 2018. May u give me some recommendations on whether a Eurail global pass or just Austria & Italy Pass or buy individual tickets? By using the either both pass can i book OBB train? Italo? Treitalia ? Frecciarossa train? Frecciabianca? Does the pass cover all

train travels - between countries & within country where we

will be travelling from Vienna + Rome: +

Milan + Venice + Vienna, how to initiate bookings?

My plan will be:

14th Fly

to Vienna

15th Vienna

(night train to Rome) take what train

16th Rome

17t Rome

18th Rome

to Milan (by night train)

19th Milan

20th Milan

to Venice

21th Venice

22th Venice

to Vienna (night train)

23th Vienna

àSalzburg

24th Vienna

à

Hallstatt

25th Vienna

26th Leave

Vienna

When should I buy the pass and reserve the train

tickets before hand?

Sorry about lots of questions! Looking forward to

your favourably reply.

Thanks!

Official Answer
photo Travel Expert
Rail Europe Posted 2 years ago

Hello Po Po Ivy Lui,

Thanks for the question.

As per your Itinerary, you can purchase Eurail Austria - Italy Pass for your travel.

To purchase the Pass click "Here".

As NTV Italo, Trenitalia, Frecciarossa and Frecciabianca are high speed train, seat reservation is mandatory on these trains with a Pass. As seat reservations is mandatory on night trains, you will need to purchase compulsory seat reservations on OBB night train.

The booking horizon for Pass is 11 months prior your train departure date and should be validated within 11 months from the date of purchase. Booking horizon for seat reservations are 3 months prior your train departure date hence you can book accordingly.

It is advised to purchase Pass and seat reservations prior your travel in order to avail confirmed seats.

Keep in mind that seat reservations would be mandatory for all High-Speed, Night, Scenic and Border Crossing trains. But, you will avail pass holder/discounted fares for these journeys with the pass. With a Pass you can travel on regional/intercity trains within a country.

In order to book seat reservations, please visit our website.

The pass seats can be reserved by clicking on “Seat Reservations” & feed in the Departure city and the Arrival city along with the travel date and preferred time & the number of passengers (Senior, adults, youth and children), and then click on “search tickets”. Once you do so, you would find the schedules along with the fares.

Please click on the “Fare Details” tab to view details regarding the type of fare, type of seat, whether a reservation is included or not and the After Sales Policy.

Hope this helps!!!

Best Regards,

Leora, Rail Europe Travel Expert.

Add Comment

Comments (10)

photo

Dear Leora,

Thanks for your urgent reply. It helps to solve my queries. Refer to my tentative itinerary, the Austria & Italy Pass that i should buy should be 4 days within a month? Right? Since my travel route start from Vienna ---> Rome vice versa that I counted 2 days. Therefore 4 days should be enough? Travel within country does not need to count the days? Am i right?

Waiting for your favourably reply. Thanks again!

Rgds,

ivy

photo Travel Expert

Hello Ivy,

Thanks for your reply.

As you will be traveling by train for 6 days i.e. 15th May, 18th May, 20th May, 22nd May, 23rd May and 24th May, you can purchase Eurail Austria - Italy Pass 6 days within 2 months for your travel.

Please note, travel by train within a country will also be counted in your Pass.

A travel day is from 12:00 am to 23:59 pm during which you can take as many trips you wish.

Keep in mind that seat reservations would be mandatory for all High-Speed, Night, Scenic and Border Crossing trains. But, you will avail pass holder/discounted fares for these journeys with the pass. With a Pass you can travel on regional/intercity trains within a country.

Hope this helps!!!

Kind Regards,

photo

Dear Leora,

After further planning, my schedule will be revised as follow therefore should i still need to by 6 days within a month euro Austria -- Italy pass?

14 May Arrived Vienna

15 May Vienna --> Rome (by night train)

16 -17 May Rome

18 May Fm Rome <--> Firenze

19 May Fm Rome <--> Pisa--> Milan

20 May Rome

21 May Rome to Venice (by Frecciarossa train)

22 May Venice ---> Vienna ( by Frecciarossa night train)

23 May Arrive Vienna ---> Salzburg

24 May Fm Salzburg ---> Hallstatt

25 May Fm Hallstatt ---> Vienna

26 May Leave Vienna

In addition, after purchasing the Europass, i then can book seat or cabin reservation for night train? And there may be few charges on top of the Europass for seat reservation ? Am I right?

Looking forward to your favourably reply again.

Thanks n rgds,

ivy

photo Travel Expert

Hello Ivy,

Thanks for your reply.

May I know if you will be traveling by train from Milan to Rome on 19th May or 20th May ?

Kindly confirm the same.

Awaiting your reply.

Kind Regards,

photo

Hi Leora,

I will be travelling to 19 May from ROME to Milan and back to Rome on the same day.

Thanks!

photo Travel Expert

Hello Ivy,

Thanks for the question.

As your journey consists of 8 days travel, you can purchase Eurail Austria - Italy Pass 8 days within 2 months.

A travel day is from 12:00 am to 23:59 pm during which you can take as many trips you wish.

After purchasing the Pass, you can purchase seat reservations for your sector. Please note, seat reservations are at a discounted price with a Pass.

Please click on the “Fare Details” tab to view details regarding the type of fare, type of seat, whether a reservation is included or not and the After Sales Policy.

Hope this helps!!!

Best Regards,

photo

Rail Europe wrote:

Hello Ivy,

Thanks for the question.

As your journey consists of 8 days travel, you can purchase Eurail Austria - Italy Pass 8 days within 2 months.

After purchasing the Pass, you can purchase seat reservations for your sector. Please note, seat reservations are at a discounted price with a Pass.

Hope this helps!!!

Best Regards,

Thanks for your useful info.

photo Travel Expert

Hello Ivy,

Thanks for your reply.

Always happy to help.

Kindly Regrads,

photo

Rail Europe wrote:

Hello Ivy,

Thanks for your reply.

Always happy to help.

Kindly Regrads,

May i know for the Austria - Italy Pass 8 days within 2 months.(1st class), can i book OBB (night train) with first class double sleeper compartment? Or any other suggestion on night train ? As i will be taking night train from Wien HBF --- Venezia Santa Lucia? Any advise? Thanks!

photo Travel Expert

Hello Ivy,

Yes you can purchase 1st class seat reservations for your travel on night train from Vienna to Venice if you have 1st class Pass.

Hope this helps!!!

Kind Regards,

Leave comment

photo

Attach files...

The file must be a jpg, gif, png, bmp, ico, pdf, doc, rtf, txt, zip or rar no more than 8M

By posting a question, you agree to our terms and conditions. You agree not to post any User Generated Content which is: false, misleading, confidential, abusive, defamatory, obscene, invasive to another person's privacy and racially objectionable. Any infringement will result in the removal of your post.