Rail Europe

Travel Expert

Statistics

Comments
Views

Tags

votes

Hi,

I am visiting Switzerland on 11th May and would land in Geneva from India. We are four. 2 Adults, 1 boy 10 years and another 13 years.

Itenary

Geneva to Interlaken.

Stay put in interlaken till 17th May. Visit multiple destination Bern, Jungfrau, Mt. Titlis and other cities.

Travel to Paris on 17th and stay in Paris for 4 days.

Travel back to India on 21st morning from Paris.

I understand swisspass is the best for me. How many Swisspasses would I need. Somewhere I ready children under 16 can travel for free on Family pass. Can you guide?

Official Answer
photo Travel Expert
Rail Europe Posted 1 week ago

Hello Litin,

Thanks for the question.

If you will be traveling extensively in Switzerland, you can purchase Swiss Travel Pass for your journey.

To purchase Swiss Travel Pass click "Here".

With a Swiss Travel Pass you will receive passholder fares only on direct TGV Lyria train to and from Paris - Zurich, Lausanne, Bern and Interlaken and vice versa for which you will need to purchase seat reservations with a Pass and 1 travel day will be taken from the Pass.

However, passholder fares are expensive with a Pass hence you can purchase point to point ticket from the border station of Switzerland i.e. Basel to Paris. If you will be at any other destination in Switzerland and will not be using your Pass for travel to the border station, you can purchase point to point ticket from the last destination in Switzerland to Paris.

You can purchase point to point ticket from the border station in Switzerland as below:

- Basel to Paris - TGV Lyria train.

If you will be traveling within Paris, you can purchase Paris Pass.

To purchase Paris Pass click "Here".

Swiss Travel Pass Details –

Children below 16 years are free if accompanied by at least one parent having a Swiss Pass. We issue a Swiss family card for children.

With a Swiss Travel Pass you can travel free within Switzerland on the STS (Swiss Travel System) network on trains, buses, boats and trams. Also with a Swiss Pass you would get discounts on mountain excursions within Switzerland. These discounts can only be availed locally by showing your Swiss Pass to the ticketing office in Switzerland.

With a Swiss Travel Pass you can travel free on intercity trains within Switzerland. You will require compulsory seat reservations on Scenic trains.

Point to point ticket procedure:

You would need to feed in the Departure city and the Arrival city along with the travel date and preferred time & the number of passengers (Senior, adults, youth and children), and then click on “search tickets”. Once you do so, you would find the schedules along with the fares. You need to select the fare which is preferable to you and then add it to Cart. Once added, you need to mention the names of the passengers to make the payment on the next page.

The route to Jungfraujoch is as follows:

Interlaken – Grindelwald/ Lauterbrunnen – Jungfraujoch.

Interlaken – Grindelwald/ Lauterbrunnen : Free with the Swiss Pass

Grindelwald/ Lauterbrunnen– Jungfraujoch : Mountain Train/Cable Car ride, has to be booked locally. You will get a discount with the Swiss Travel Pass.

The route to Mt Titlis is as follows:

Lucerne – Engelberg – Titlis

Lucerne – Engelberg : Free with the Swiss Pass.

Engelberg to Mt Titlis – cable car ride. You will have to book this sector locally. With a Swiss Pass you will get discounts on mountain excursions.

Hope this helps!!!

Best Regards,

Leora, Rail Europe Travel Expert.

Add Comment

Comments (2)

photo

Thanks for the reply. I understand family pass can be obtained with our two adult Swiss passes and hence no need to buy any pass as such for both boys.

I hope my understanding is correct

photo Travel Expert

Hello Litin,

Thanks for your reply.

As Children below 16 years are free if accompanied by at least one parent having a Swiss Travel Pass, 10 year old and 13 year old children will have to be entered under "Free Family Card" where the Child passenger will not be charged.

Please note, seat reservation on scenic train is compulsory for 10 year old and 13 year old child passengers as well and the same applies for travel on mountain trains and cable car.

Hope this helps!!!

Kind Regards,

Leora, Rail Europe Travel Expert.

Leave comment

photo

Attach files...

The file must be a jpg, gif, png, bmp, ico, pdf, doc, rtf, txt, zip or rar no more than 8M

By posting a question, you agree to our terms and conditions. You agree not to post any User Generated Content which is: false, misleading, confidential, abusive, defamatory, obscene, invasive to another person's privacy and racially objectionable. Any infringement will result in the removal of your post.